I AM NOT IN LOVE WITH EDWARD

Yes, I am talking about the sweet talking, blood sucking, piano playing vampire from Twilight, Edward.

I am not in love with him, which appears to make me stand out against millions of girls around the world. And this is a fact that concerns me.

Yes, he's hot. We get it. He's hot, and he's utterly and irreversibly in love with Bella. But is love enough? I say no. I have nothing against love, and passionate love at that, but when it becomes an excuse for inexcusable behaviour there is a problem. He is controlling beyond reason. He tells her what to do, where she can go, and who she can be friends with. And because she loves him, she lets him control her. He even kidnaps her a couple of times, forcing her to be where he thinks she ought to be. All under the guise of keeping her safe. I do not doubt the lovely motives, but does that really make it ok? I say absolutely not!

This perfect ideal of Edward sets up a whole generation of young girls to get in abusive, controlling relationships. If he loves me, it's ok. He controls me because he cares. Then it's a slippery slope, from control to abuse. I'm not saying all controlling guys end up abusing their girlfriends/wives, but it lends itself to going in that direction.

Yes Edward never hurts her physically, but does that make it ok? Not in my book. Not that I have a book... you get my point though.

Love is not an excuse for poor behaviour. Controlling relationships are not ok and should not be set up as an over-romanticised ideal. Bella constantly gets mad at Edward, then forgives him as soon as she sees him coz he's so hot and she loves him! That is not ok! Girls need to be taught to respect themselves and expect men to respect them too, not offer up excuses for why they are not being respected.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This is a place for us girls to catch up and communicate during the week.
Check in regularly for updates so you know what's going on!

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord